B.Sc. (Hons) Sports & Exercise Sciences (A four year, full-time, international standard, credit based programme)
Overview of the programme
- Offered by Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education & Research (Deemed to be university).
- A multi-disciplinary programme designed to focus on the scientific principles that underpin the exercise and sport
- A 4 year programme which offers many opportunities to apply theoretical knowledge in a variety of practical situations.
Infrastructure at Centre for Sports Science, SRIHER
- State-of-the-art Sports Medicine Facility
- Biomechanics Lab with 20 VICON cameras for 3D motion analysis
- Force Platforms
- Wireless EMG
- BAT Logic Rowing Biomechanics system
- Pitch Vision system for real-time Cricket analysis
- In-Shoe pressure sensors
- Exercise Physiology labs
- BIODEX Isokinetic Dynamometer
- High Altitude Training Chamber
- High Performance Centre
- Fitness Centre with indoor Running Track and Swimming Pool
- Multi-purpose sports hall
- Fields of play for Football, Cricket, Hockey, Athletics and many other sports including India’s first man made rowing course under floodlights
Who can do this programme?
Candidates must have passed HSC/CBSE/ISC or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (Mathematics is preferable but optional) as main subjects with the minimum of 70%.
What would I study?
- Four year programme (8 semesters) including one year of internship
- Choice based credit system
- Basic medical sciences
- Fundamental & Applied Sports Biomechanics
- Fundamental & Applied Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Prescription for Athletic Performance and Chronic Diseases
- Fundamental &Applied Sports Nutrition
- Fundamental &Applied Sports Psychology
- Research Methodology& Biostatistics
- Basic trauma care management
- Research project
What are my career options?
- Can work in a hospital: Sports Scientist can work in a hospital or in Rehabilitation centres or in the community. He / She can educate and train people about Fitness, Exercises & Sports Training and Injury prevention.
- Private Practice: may offer consultations to a wide range of people who seek opinions for lifestyle fitness, Sports Training and performance enhancement.
- Corporate sectors and Industries: There is a growing demand for Fitness consultants and Trainers in our country to work in large corporate sectors and industries which operate health care and fitness centres.
- Schools, Colleges & other Educational Institutions: Sports scientists along with Physical Education specialists can monitor the physical condition of the students and impart special training to improve their sports activities.
- Commercial Fitness Centres: can work as consultants in these facilities to offer scientific advice and training to their clients.
- Sports persons, Teams & Clubs: Opportunities exist to work with sports persons at individual level or with the various teams and sports clubs for a promising career