Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed to be University)
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed to be University) previously known as Sri Ramachandra University, ranked among the top health sciences universities in India, had its origin as Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute (SRMC & RI) which was established by Sri Ramachandra Educational and Health Trust in the year 1985 as a private not-for-profit self-financing institution and dedicated to serve the society as a centre of excellence with emphasis on medical education, research and health care. The task of establishing the Instittion as a “Centre of Excellence” was achieved under the leadership of its Founder Chancellor Late Shri NPV Ramasamy Udayar. The institution has been forging forward to new heights ever since, with Shri VR Venkataachalam, current the Chancellor of the Deemed University at the helm, along with Shri RV Sengutuvan, Pro Chancellor. Over three decades, the institute has transformed into a full-fledged Deemed University and at pres- ent, comprising fourteen faculties / constituent colleges, with the Sri Ramachandra Faculty of Sports and Exercise Science being the latest addition. With a faculty strength of around 950, more than 8,000 students receive teaching and training.
- Category I Status by the University Grants Commission (UGC), 2018
- 33rd rank among all Universities in India by the MHRD NIRF Ranking, 2019
- “A” Grade with a CGPA of 3.62 on a 4-point scale, National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), the highest to be awarded to a private medical Deemed University in India
- Best Health Sciences University in the Private Sectors in India, The India Today Survey of 2019.
- Accredited by Joint Commission International (JCI), the first teaching hospital in India to obtain the accreditation up to January, 2018.
- Accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals (NABH)
- Nodal Centre for medical education technology courses, National Medical Commission (NMC)
"To offer diverse educational programmes that facilitate the development of competent professioals and valuable citizens, who demonstrate excellence in the respective disciplines, while being locally and globally responsive in areas of education, healthcare delivery and research"
Location and accessibility
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed to be University) is located in Chennai, a fast growing industrial, medical and knowledge hub in South India and is well connected by road, rail and air to almost any destination in the world. Infrastructure Over two million square feet of constructed space houses technologically advanced, fully air-conditioned state of the art class rooms, modern laboratories and one of the largest medical libraries in the region.
Campus and facilities
Spread over 150 acres with well-manicured lawns and sprawling open spaces, the campus is a small township with colleges, the medical centre, staff and student housing, conference facilities, play grounds etc.